Anita Bernhardt, Assistant Superintendent
The York School Department maintains a strong commitment to providing a coordinated and comprehensive professional development program for educators.
Guided by the York Educational Strategic Plan, the Comprehensive Needs Assessment and the 3-Year Plan for Improvement, the York Administrative Team coordinates professional development offerings. Professional development opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Collaboration with the UMO Center for Comprehensive Literacy, graduate level literacy courses are available on-site in York, taught by our own, highly trained Teacher Leaders. York is a leading training center for elementary literacy teachers in southern Maine
- Instructional coaching in literacy, mathematics and special education
- A yearly Summer Institute that brings together educators from various school systems for shared professional development.
- Technology integration offerings, through Summer Institute and district support.
- Professional Learning Communities that support continued professional reflection and growth at each school
- Collaboration with local universities, including the University of Southern Maine and the University of Maine.
- Tuition reimbursement options for advanced studies.